Tuesday, July 3, 2007

FoxSaver 1.0 Released!

FoxSaver 1.0 is just released!

FoxSaver turns idle FireFox into ScreenSaver with nice pictures!

The pictures are updated everyday and hand-picked from the web.
They are really nice and non-offensive, good for office computers!

Features:
  1. Turns Your FireFox into ScreenSaver!
  2. New Pictures Everyday!
  3. Easily toggle on/off.
  4. Full Screen if FireFox is maximized.
  5. If you have dual monitor, you can move your FireFox to another screen and enjoy the view while working!
And you can hide your personal stuff from colleagues and bosses if you leave your desk for a while. :)

Labels:

• Nice work. Just keep it up!

By Blogger Happy Soul, At July 7, 2007 9:37 AM

• Hi, I'm curious: where are the images from?

By Blogger Hijuechavista, At July 10, 2007 8:55 AM

• I have a fast machine but this just gives a black screen, no pics. Also, right-click doesn't do anything for me but bring up my context-menu (without an added option).

Got better directions somewhere?

By Blogger BillyG, At July 10, 2007 10:15 AM

• Hi Hijuechavista, the pictures currently come from photo.net. We will link to the images' original source in the very next release.

BillyG, can you let us know your OS, firefox version? We only tested it on Linux and windows, and Firefox 2.0.0.4.

By Blogger Chris, At July 10, 2007 10:40 AM

• Thanks! It's a great extension.

By Blogger Hijuechavista, At July 10, 2007 10:46 AM

• Sorry, I'm good - and I guess a little impatient while waiting for those initial downloads, but the real reason I'm back:

I don't like that there is a FoxSaver tab sometimes when I open FF (when I definitely did not have one before closing it).

Also, the tab shows a url similiar to what is described here: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=22198 , related? I know, of course not. :-)

By Blogger BillyG, At July 11, 2007 3:59 PM

• Hi, billyg, thanks for coming back and relieving us that it's not really an issue!

This is a first version and we will continue to improve it. Can you let me know what's the tab you don't like? We currently only have a small icon on the status bar. You can email me screenshots directly to chris.lu at gmail.com

No... We like photos and use FoxSaver ourselves. No funky things.

Isn't it nice to see pretty new pictures when you relax?

By Blogger Chris, At July 11, 2007 6:09 PM

• To be honest, I'm always in my browser anyway. I just grabbed it because I may use it in my second monitor if I'm busy doing something outside the browser. Unlike normal screensavers, this one will still run - a real plus btw!

The tab I mentioned was a tab, not an icon in the statusbar. I couldn't make a screenshot if I tried because the (always black when first reloading Firefox) tab that says FoxSaver on it is enabled and to run my screenshot utility, I need to access the desktop anyway. (although if I kept FF in my secondary monitor, I would be able to do that for you...)

Nevertheless, sometimes I get a FoxSaver tab after opening Firefox, almost like it's in the save-session profile even though I didn't have it open beforehand. btw: I use TMP, not the default session-saver. G/L.

By Blogger BillyG, At July 11, 2007 7:15 PM

• Why are the photos so small? About 2 inches square. How can I make them larger?

By Blogger demerchlewitz, At July 16, 2007 3:09 PM

• Found out , I can increase the size of images in Firefox and then start Foxsaver to increas the size of screen saver photos too.

By Blogger demerchlewitz, At July 16, 2007 3:42 PM

• BillyG, the new 1.2 release should resolve your strange tab issue.

demerchlewitz, I am not particularly know what's wrong and how you fixed it. Do you have something to control image size in FireFox?

By Blogger Chris, At July 16, 2007 4:00 PM

• It's the BEST!! Do you plan on creating a desktop version as well? That would be ultimate!! Cheers!

By Blogger Rafa, At April 7, 2008 9:56 PM