Sunday, July 8, 2007

FoxSaver FAQ

1. When I want to choose pictures under my Linux Ubuntu I can't choose any jpg because it is disabled to select. What is wrong? The problem is that the selection is for selecting directories, not a single specific image file.
  2. Some of the photos are so extroordinary, I'd love to access them separately. Currently the images are cached. Just use the "Tools"->"FoxSaver"->"Options..."->"Choose Photos"->"Browse Cache Directory"
    to see all the pictures.
  3. How to uninstall? In FireFox, follow "Tools"->"Add-ons"->"FoxSaver"->"Uninstall". But please drop us a comment telling us why you don't like FoxSaver. We really want to hear your criticisms.
  4. What are those "Media RSS URLs" for and how do they work exactly? How can I use them? Media RSS is one kind of RSS format, which basically contains a list of pictures. There are some RSS feeds on FoxSaver.com website also. You can copy and paste the URL to the field, and those pictures will be shown.
  5. What is that webpage URL and how can I use that? The webpage URL should points to a web page, that will show up when FireFox is idle, in stead of starting the FoxSaver slideshow.
  6. Is there any possibility to find or better copy the url of the current
    picture to the clipboard? The "i" button will direct you to the FoxSaver website, which should have enough information for you. For local pictures, well, we can add the local URL later.
  7. Is it possible to have more than one picture folder on the local harddisk activated at the same time? Not at this time. Seems kind of complicated to do. You can easily switch directory by using "Choose Pictures..." when right click on the FoxSaver icon from the statusbar. If you have multiple directories, why not put those directory under one parent directory, and you can set the directory to this parent directory. All pictures will be listed and displayed.
  8. May be it would be also interesting to have a quick mood switch with
    different folder selection? Well, kind of similar to last question. You can use "Choose Pictures..." to change the directory.
  9. Doesn't work with NoScript pluggin? The latest NoScript vers. 1.8.8.5 no longer blocks FoxSaver when run with default settings, but at least with unchecked box *Forbid IFRAME*, which is on tab 'Plugins' in NoScript Options window. I can check most of the 'block'-boxes, I only have to leave Forbid IFRAME unchecked - for both versions of FF, both Win2k and WinXP.

• Thank you for the program. It works great. I do have a question that I'd like to ask. Is there away to change "Browse Cache Directory" to a different directory on my hard drive?

Thanks

Joe

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 27, 2007 4:21 AM

• Hello - the Foxsaver is a great idea but I am unable to use my own Images.
    I have Firefox 2.0.0.6 Win XP Prof.

I have un ticked "Foxsaver" pictures (which work very well) . . . and selected Folder c:\##FirefoxImages where there are 10 of my own "jpg" images . . . but all I get is the Windows Folder image . . .what is the problem . . .
    Regards, Tim

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 31, 2007 2:59 AM

• No hay soporte para dos monitores ? En la page de Firefox dice que si ...
    Me podrían decir como activarlo ? Gracias

By Blogger helmutt, At September 12, 2007 11:45 AM

• helmutt, you just need to open 2 firefox browsers, then you can have 2 screensavers.

By Blogger Chris, At September 12, 2007 1:08 PM

• This is a great program ALAS I must deactivate it for I found it not compatible with bookmark editing in netvouz! Each time i edit multiple bookmark and validate, it turn my page to a rss feed, with firefox wanting to registrate it !
    Too bad, will look for future releases !

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 15, 2007 8:28 AM

• FoxSaver is great idea. Two questions:

1. It doesn't go full screen for me, instead it just opens in a new tab. (I only have one browser open)

2. Is there a way to make it use left-click to stop the slide show?

By Blogger Dan, At October 15, 2007 9:43 AM

• I don't understand, it keeps telling me that it can't find the photo sources even when I right-click on the foxsaver page and say use these photos. Do I have to download all the photos I want? Why won't it use the great photos on the foxsaver page?

By Blogger sjedynak, At November 8, 2007 6:39 AM

• With the new version 2.2.4.4 the foxsaver plugin doesn't work properly and every time it starts i obtain the error: "No image can be found with the current specified sources. Please verify sources and try again" but i checked the option "Foxsaver picture" as source and in the cache directory i find the 20 pics of the day!
    Please help me!
    Roberto

By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 27, 2007 8:14 AM

• If you have error like "No image can be found ...", please make sure you uncheck "Media RSS URLs" and "My Pictures Directory". Quite likely the RSS has a incompatible format or the directory doesn't have the pictures.

By Blogger Chris, At November 27, 2007 8:31 AM

• Dan, are you using Mac? I tested it on Mac and seems it's not going fullscreen there.

We added the "mouse move to stop foxsaver" option in 2.2.4.4. Thanks for the suggestion!

By Blogger Chris, At November 27, 2007 8:33 AM

• sjedynak, we will work on it. Currently you can add each user's RSS feed into FoxSaver.

By Blogger Chris, At November 27, 2007 8:34 AM

• Great (Excellent) Job.

Note: Sorry for my poor English. I'm live in Argentina

I take the pics, in cache folder, with a automatic wallpaper rotator software. (caledos.com)

But in my cache folder are 100 pics. It's possible automatic save the pics in another folder, or (more important) don't erase older pics?

Thanks !
    Happy New Year !

By Blogger pitoti, At December 29, 2007 6:50 AM

• What I like best about FoxSaver is the "Nice Pictures" part. Is there a page where I can download all pictures featured in FoxSaver to populate my pictures folder?

By Anonymous Ran Biron, At January 1, 2008 3:33 AM

• Having problem with my Foxsaver disabling my bookmarks, file,edit, view, history any thing in the pull down menu will not open. This happens whenever Foxsaver starts, I want to get rid of this program for two reasons.
    1. It is messing up my computer
    2. I like googles screen saver better
    How do you remove this d**n thing? It is not in my add delete program, nor can I find it in the All Programs in the Start menu.

Thanks,
    John

Thanks

By Blogger John, At February 29, 2008 7:57 AM

• Hi, John, Please read "How to uninstall?" section in current page. Does anyone else have similar problem?

BTW: We are going to have a window screensaver soon.

By Blogger Chris, At February 29, 2008 10:00 AM

• Hi,

first of all, COMPLIMENTS!

When I stop FoxSaver (with a right click), it makes "funny" things to my FireFox:

Maximized FF window will restore and maximize again. "Normal" window will maximize and restore again. This "effects" take about 1/2 a second.

Could you please repair it?

For your info:
    Change to full screen when maximized is not checked.

In full screen hide Sidebar is not checked.

Cheers,

Michael

By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 6, 2008 2:20 AM

• Hi, Michael, We just fixed bug upon your reporting. Thanks!

May need to wait until this Sunday to release it though. We already have an upgrade this Tuesday and some users may complain about too many updates in a week.

And thanks! Any other suggestions to the plugin or the site are very welcome!

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At March 6, 2008 9:43 AM

• Hi,

I am short of space on my FireFox status bar. Please give an option to hide the (wide) FoxSaver logo from the status-bar.

Thanx,

Michael

By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 20, 2008 12:55 AM

• Hi, Michael,

To hide the foxsaver icon in status bar, you just need to go to "Tools"-> "FoxSaver"-> "Toggle Status Bar Icon".

Thanks!

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At June 20, 2008 9:10 AM

• Question: Can I circumvent the foxsaver website completely and simply take photos from another website that I want to use instead. Because that would convince me to not to delete foxsaver.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 30, 2008 8:23 PM

• anonymous, in order not to show foxsaver pictures, you can uncheck the FoxSaver feed option, and put other site's media RSS feed there.

By Blogger Chris, At June 30, 2008 10:14 PM

• With the new version the foxsaver plugin doesn't work properly and every time it starts i obtain the error: "No image can be found with the current specified sources. Please verify sources and try again"
    I check and unchecked everything and the problem continue. I try Uninstall and installing again and still nothing. How can I do a complete Uninstall to do a new fresh Install? Or what else can I do?
    PS I like it very much. I use it with multiple monitors. GOOD JOB!

By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 11, 2008 4:17 PM

• The release 2.2.6.8 has a bug that fails to find images.

We have released 2.2.6.9, which resolves this issue.

Thanks for your support!

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At July 11, 2008 5:21 PM

• Thanks for the program. It works great with feeds from Picasa but I am having trouble with Flickr feeds. For example:http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/groups_discuss.gne?id=340677@N23&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

I am using Firefox 3 and Kubuntu Linux 8.04.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 17, 2008 6:25 PM

• We need an option to disable FoxSaver when the window is minimized. I mean so it doesn't wipe out my game of Space Zap!

Also need a link to send reports like this one directly, instead of making you search for it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 25, 2008 9:15 PM

• Acutally on windows, foxsaver won't start if the window is minimized. It doesn't work on linux since it's hard to detect Firefox is minimized or not. If anyone knows how to correct detect it, please let us know.

By Blogger Chris, At July 25, 2008 9:24 PM

• How does it work with two monitors? I only get pictures on one monitor.

willem.laros@gmail.com

By Anonymous willem laros, At August 8, 2008 2:52 AM

• Actually no magic to get it working on two monitors. You just need to open two Firefox window.

By Blogger Chris, At August 8, 2008 11:23 AM

• Hi, thank you very much for this program, it is an amazing idea. Unfortunately, I cannot set up my e-library. When I delete some photos in cachce memory of foxsaver, they will appear again. I would like to customize my photo selection from your site, but I do not know why. can you please give me a piece of advice?

By Blogger Marek, At September 27, 2008 1:05 AM

• I love foxsaver for the plethera of images and art. But I don't get the point yet. I am not a photographer, but I like to collect art and meet others who like to do the same. I do not find it user friendly, there is no glossary, "help" and the faq is only to be found on the blog? Also, I get prompts to activate my account, I go to my e mail including spam and there is nothing there. Help?

By Blogger mapy455, At October 28, 2008 10:03 PM

• mp455, thanks for your favor. we created this small site just using spare time, and not enough resource to improve the site yet.

By Blogger Chris, At October 29, 2008 8:33 AM

• Thank you Chris for your prompt reply. I do enjoy it so much, I've never seen such beautiful photography that is so accessable before. It just seems from some of the postings I'm reading, that people seem to know much more than I do about how to navigate it, and I'm not a computer efficianato, but I'm not a "computers for dummies" person either. I guess I'll just wait it out and continue enjoying the site for the time being. If anyone has advice for me, please comment. Great night, and Peace!

By Blogger mapy455, At October 29, 2008 6:55 PM

• Chris, thank you for your quick reply. It seems like others are catching on to how to use the sight. I'm not a computer efficianado, but not a "computers for dummies" type either. I do enjoy looking around the site, so I will try to ride it out and see what happens. Anyone who reads this post and thinks they can help, please reply. Thx,Pam

By Blogger mapy455, At October 29, 2008 7:01 PM

• Am running FoxSaver on 2 computers at home (windows xp) and love it. I tried to download it onto my laptop with Windows Vista and when I try to open download, I get and error message saying windows doesn't know which program to use to open program. What program am I missing?
    Thanks,
    jm

By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 11, 2009 10:20 AM

• FoxSaver runs only in FireFox. You can try the window's screensaver version downloadable from the front page of foxsaver.com.

By Blogger Chris, At March 11, 2009 10:23 AM

• My FoxSaver is not working like it used to. I used to get new pictures every day, but now they never change. It's always the same pictures. I have Firefox 3.0.10 and Vista operating system. I'm not using any pictures other than the FoxSaver pictures. How can I start getting new pictures again? Really love the beautiful pictures that you have!! Thanks for the help!!

By Blogger Tom and June, At May 5, 2009 10:08 PM

• Actually it's my fault. It's still a manual process to pick and publish the pictures. So I slowed down the picture release cycle a bit. And I went to vacation without internet.

By Blogger Chris, At May 7, 2009 1:07 AM

• Chris,
    Thanks for the quick response. I noticed last night that I had new beautiful pictures. Hope you had a wonderful vacation!!

By Blogger Tom and June, At May 7, 2009 8:22 PM

• Hi,

I love this Add-in but recently i lost the configuration settings that seem to pick pictures of the day. How do I get this urls back to make it all work again?

Cheers,

Andy

By Blogger madhead, At December 3, 2009 1:35 AM

• thanks. To get foxsaver photos, you can just right click the "FoxSaver" on lower right status bar, check "Options"->"Choose Pictures"->"FoxSaver Photos".

By Blogger Chris, At December 3, 2009 1:47 AM