Sunday, August 5, 2007

FoxSaver 2.0 Released!

We made great process on this release!

First, you can view your own pictures via Media RSS!
So if you have an online album, you can view it on every computer you have FoxSaver installed!
You can install FoxSaver on your parents' computer, fill in your RSS URL, then they can see your pictures without doing anything! If you update your online album, they will see it! However, only Flickr is well tested now.

Secondly, the images are cached. So each day, you only need to download new pictures once.
Can not be more lean and efficient than that.

Thirdly, many small UI tweaks.
  • Idle minutes can be changed without restart.
  • Sidebar can be optionally hided.
  • Local directory can be directly changed.
  • Do not start in minimized mode.
Please let us know if you want some features or just show your support!

• Hi there. Great app. Love it!

2.0 doesn't seems to be available yet, and the old version doesn't install. Any suggestions?

By Blogger Neal, At August 6, 2007 9:40 AM

• 2.0 is pending review now. Should be available pretty soon today.

Other versions should be available here:

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At August 6, 2007 9:51 AM

• A suggestion would be to show pictures randomly... Everytime I've started it, its the same couple again and again....

By Blogger Theo, At August 6, 2007 7:58 PM

• otherewise, great app :-D

By Blogger Theo, At August 6, 2007 7:59 PM

• theo, the 2.0 release randomized the pictures now.

Thanks!

By Blogger Chris, At August 6, 2007 8:15 PM

• screenshots, please!

By Blogger Ali, At August 7, 2007 5:50 AM

• I have the problem when I want to choose pictures under my Linux Ubuntu I can't choose any jpg because it is disabled to select. What is wrong?

By Blogger Krzysztof, At August 8, 2007 2:04 AM

• Krzysztof, thanks for trying FoxSaver!

I think the problem is that the selection is for selecting directories, not a single specific image file.

I have tested OK on my ubuntu.

By Blogger Chris, At August 8, 2007 2:36 AM

• Hi Chris, I'm not sure what's best about FoxSaver, the app itself or the selection of photos! I guess both. Some of the photos are so extraordinary I'd love to access them separately for my photobank (e.g. for screen backdrops, or just to be able to browse through them even once they've been replaced in the saver). Would it be possible to know the source of the photos, so as to be able to access the website? Many thanks for adding a little touch of wonder to the time spent in front of my screen!

By Blogger Andrew, At August 8, 2007 6:58 AM

• Hi, Andrew,
    Thanks a lot for your support!

We are working on a slideshow toolbar with "pause", "next" buttons, etc. We will add "more info" button also.

BTW: Currently the images are cached. Just use the "Tools"->"FoxSaver"->"Options..."->"Choose Photos"->"Browse Cache Directory"
    to see all the pictures.

By Blogger Chris, At August 8, 2007 10:26 AM

• Thanks for helping me in my last problem :) Now I have a question: is it possible to browse simultaneously photos from my directory and photos from Foxsaver?

By Blogger Krzysztof, At August 9, 2007 1:44 AM

• Krzysztof, you are welcome. If you selected the checkbox of FoxSaver, it'll be included.

Of course, if you have 1000 pictures, foxsaver's pictures will be out-numbered and you may not see them too often.

By Blogger Chris, At August 9, 2007 1:58 AM

• hi chris, this is a good extension, like it very much.. i don't know if this suggestion sounds silly but u can consider playing music while the pictures are displaying or options to let users to add their own. i sometimes use foxsaver just to admire the marvellous pictures. with a nice piece of music playing in the background will complete the enjoyment

Thanks for foxsaver :)

linus

By Anonymous linus, At August 9, 2007 7:03 AM

• I love this extension!! So helpful at work, and wonderful pictures. I am also a user of the "Minimize to Tray" extension and was wondering if there is/are plans for compatibility with the extension.

Also, had a weird bug yesterday when I went to print something of a gsa.gov page. It was in a loop of trying to print and then going to the screen saver; there was no way to get out of it besides shutting down Firefox. Not sure if this has anything to do with your extension at all, but thought I'd mention it.

Thank you!

By Blogger Aly, At August 10, 2007 3:03 PM

• linus, thanks for your nice words. Do you have any suggestions on what music to play? It's hard to find a good source to play and we are not experts on music.

Aly, thanks for your support. I also noticed a bug similar to what you have just reported. I believe this will be fixed in the release this coming Sunday, but not quite sure since it's very hard to reproduce this kind of problem.

Everyone, please do let me know if this happens again after next weeks release, FoxSaver 2.1.

By Blogger Chris, At August 10, 2007 3:38 PM

• Aly, about "Minimize To Tray". Seems it's working fine with FoxSaver.

Any features do you want with FoxSaver? Like still play screensaver even when it's minimized to tray? This could be annoying to users because if you are doing something, FireFox can not really know, since it gets no interactions. If suddenly a fullscreen slideshow pops up, it's very annoying.

By Blogger Chris, At August 10, 2007 3:42 PM

• Wonderful application. I have found one possible bug. I have foxsaver installed on 4 computers. (3) with windows XP and (1) with windows vista. All with the quicknote extension. (1) with windows xp works well. (2) with windows xp and (1) with vista display the loading animation forever unless I disable the quicknote extension.Bug?...or am I doing something wrong?

By Blogger vincetho, At August 11, 2007 8:42 AM

• vincetho, Thanks sooooooo much!

This kind of compatibility issue always puzzled us. I followed your tip and looked at "QuickNote" source code, and found one naming conflict.

Thanks! We will try to resolve it asap!

By Blogger Chris, At August 11, 2007 11:33 AM

• Thanks for the advice Chris. That's really made my day.

By Blogger Andrew, At August 13, 2007 1:43 AM

• Hi everyone,

I've got 2.1 installed. However, I've tried putting-in values in the RSS Media URLs.

Can someone give me an example URL that I can test?

Cheers!

Eduardo

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 19, 2007 7:16 PM

• This one is pretty good:

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At August 19, 2007 10:07 PM

• The app looks like a great idea... but how exactly do I get it started? I downloaded it but don't know what to do next...

By Blogger hugheskg, At July 14, 2008 4:13 PM

• hugheskg, there should be a "FoxSaver" icon on the status bar. Right click on it, and choose "FoxSaver Start"

By Blogger Chris, At July 14, 2008 4:16 PM

• This is the best screen saver that I ever had, unfortunately I have no credit card and I cannot donate. I leave this comment just to thank you! Keep going! The pictures are very nice and well selected! I did not see pictures like these anywhere on the web, even in photo.net!

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 9, 2008 1:47 AM

• I would like to use the site but I had to uninstall it because every time I correctly close Mozilla I get an error message that Mozilla crashed and the detail is due to Foxsaver. What is wrong? I have pictues I would like to use but will not until I hear how to correct the problem. Thank you.

By Blogger Delphine, At October 31, 2008 12:31 PM

• Thanks Delphine. Could you please let us know the details of the errors? You can just email me to foxsaver at gmail.com. I want to know the firefox version, OS, other plugins you may have, etc.

By Blogger Chris, At October 31, 2008 1:05 PM