Sunday, August 12, 2007

FoxSaver 2.1 Released!

FoxSaver 2.1 is released!

This is should be the best and cleanest code ever produced.

One major improvement is that we have tested many Media RSS feeds on sources other than flickr. So if you want to add some RSS feeds that doesn't work, please let us know!

Another major improvement is that we should haven avoided all future extension conflicts. We used some public library, and found it's conflicting with other extensions. Previously we didn't really know what went wrong, until one user, Aly, who clearly identified one extension. And we got into the extension's source code, found the conflicting library. We have put a namespace for all of our source code. So the problem should be gone. If it ever happens, please do let us know!

And please blog about us! We are thinking about "User Recommended Pictures". If you want to be the first several users, please blog about us and send us your blog to "foxsaver at gmail.com". We will send you the registration link when the website is ready!

If you like FoxSaver, or hate it, please let us know! We want to improve it!

• I love the FoxSaver. Only one hint, the turquoise logo in the bottom bar of Firefox is to bright. It's an outshining eye catcher.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 17, 2007 3:44 PM

• Thanks!

Right, we are not so good at designing logos. If any user has a good design, please send it to us!

By Blogger Chris, At August 17, 2007 11:36 PM

• A really good idea, but sadly it won't start automatically. I waited several minutes (adjusted one minute in the options) but there is no reaction. I surely enjoyed the pictures that I saw by starting manually - I missed my webshots screensaver! Any suggestions??

Holger

By Anonymous honi, At August 20, 2007 3:40 PM

• thanks. Did you put firefox into minimized mode? If so, FoxSaver won't try to start.

By Blogger Chris, At August 20, 2007 4:13 PM

• And if the window is a pop-up window, FoxSaver won't try to start either, to prevent some annoying advertising links.

We did so just try to avoid possible annoying cases.

By Blogger Chris, At August 20, 2007 4:20 PM

• Nifty! Only things I would change are to allow the Stop/Pause/Play controls to fade out and to remove the FoxSaver logo from the upper left corner. The whole idea of a screensaver is to not have a static image that can burn into the screen.

By Anonymous RE, At August 23, 2007 9:35 AM

• Thanks! Next release we will have the control button fade out. Right now it just disappear after a while if the mouse is not moved.

In current release, the FoxSaver icon can already be optionally hided.

By Blogger Chris, At August 23, 2007 10:44 AM

• I love it thanks:)

By Blogger Crystal, At August 23, 2007 7:52 PM

• Thanks! We need some more blogging so more people can enjoy it.

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At August 23, 2007 7:57 PM

• Great application, Love it.. The pictures hand picked are cool as well. I had one question (not a complaint by any means), how long do the pictures stay in the cache folder? and can that length of time be adjusted? Some real cool pictures I wanted to keep, but don't know if I need to copy them off or if they will stay in the cache folder till I delete them???? Thanks a bunch.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 24, 2007 9:35 AM

• Thanks! The cache size currently(v2.1) is set to 100. So if you don't have other RSS sources, the images will last 5 days long.

By Blogger Chris, At August 24, 2007 11:08 AM

• Thanks for the props! Lol...I love this extension. It would be wonderful to have a "don't show this image again" for images that may not be suited to a persons work environment. ~Thank you!

By Blogger Aly, At August 24, 2007 2:11 PM

• Thanks Aly! Sure. But first of all, does it happen to you that some FoxSaver provided pictures are not so suitable to your place? If so, please do let me know.

If you are talking about avoiding some pictures from a RSS feed, we can surely add this feature.

By Blogger Chris, At August 24, 2007 3:04 PM

• Hi!
    Extension works really good, really nice job!

But I suggest to change the logo, don't be angry, but in my opinion it's a bit ugly...

If you describe how do you imagine it, i would try to create one.

PS. sorry for my english :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 28, 2007 6:56 AM

• Thanks! No offense taken. No doubt, we are not so good at logo design. We tried several online logo generator, but didn't come out good or too common.

Maybe you can help us to create an apple-style logo, or anything you like, as long as it fits a black background, preferable in svg format. Thanks!!!

By Blogger Chris, At August 28, 2007 9:27 AM

• Nice plugin! :)
    BTW is that possible to get your logo on the front, because it stays in background though its nice mirror effect itunes-like...

By Blogger www.b23prodtm.com, At August 28, 2007 5:50 PM

• Hi, www.b23prodtm.com, thanks!

Did you mean you want to hide the "FoxSaver" logo? There is an option to do so.

To move the logo to the foreground? It may block part of the picture, so may not be good.

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At August 28, 2007 6:04 PM

• I am new to the RSS feed option, can you please tell me how exactly to use this. I have tried going to the web, looking at RSS feeds and then copying the link. I get RSS feeds to my email, I tried using those links, but no good? it says no pictures are available. What might I be doing wrong, can you give me a link for RSS feeds to use an example of what I am looking for? Thanks...

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 29, 2007 7:48 AM

• try this link

By Blogger Chris, At August 29, 2007 9:13 AM

• Downloaded it a few days ago and am loving it.

Any idea where to get more RSS feeds.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 30, 2007 12:37 PM

• RSS feeds should work as long as they follow Media RSS format. However, not all websites have these kind of RSS feeds. We are thinking to add a user recommended RSS feeds on a website we are working on. Please be a little patient. :)

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At August 30, 2007 3:09 PM

• Umm... I've just installed 2.2.0.1 and there is no option to read it in English. Obviously its installed in a default Scandinavian-type language or whatever it is. What's the fix? Thanks!

By Blogger tacoz, At September 3, 2007 5:01 AM

• tacoz, thanks!

Just as you said, it was default to Swedish. Thanks for letting us know!

I have just uploaded the fix to Mozilla website. Hope it can be released very soon.

Last minute change is doomed to have error. :(

By Blogger Chris, At September 3, 2007 8:14 AM

• All great and stuff but how do you stop it?
    I have disabled it but it still pops up...
    Even when im actively using Firefox it pops on... and 'that' is extremely anoying...
    Any idea how i can disable it in a way it wont start?

By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 3, 2007 11:00 AM

• Great Screen savers,Great Photos,Is there an Archive we can see past/presnt photos on..Some of these are Fantastic shots.

By Anonymous Andra, At September 5, 2007 11:39 PM

• Thanks. The archive is not ready yet. We are working hard to roll it out soon.

By Blogger Chris, At September 5, 2007 11:46 PM

• Worked great until I updated to version 2.2.0.2. Now I find my windows pushed up too high to close every time I right click to stop it. Has frozen my pc after leaving an open Firefox window overnight. It is disabled until fixed. Loved it before the update. I would appreciate any ideas that I can use to fix this here. Thanks, Tom

By Blogger Tom, At September 7, 2007 12:12 PM

• Tom, thanks for using FoxSaver!

I think you still can download a previous version of FoxSaver from mozilla.

And actually I met with the freeze problem myself once or twice, but not always. Hard to debug, but we are working on it.

I am not too sure about "push up windows". A screenshot would be much useful to understand and fix your problem. You can send it to chris.lu at gmail.com

Thanks!

By Blogger Chris, At September 7, 2007 12:34 PM

• I love it. Blogged it.

No troubles on my machine.

By Blogger Semavi Lady, At September 8, 2007 6:11 AM

• It seems to be eating my system memory when running memory usage went from 420mb to 693mb every picture loaded used about 6mb of memory and it just kept going up. This memory was not released until the Firefox session was closed. I suppose it would eventually run out of memory and crash the system ?

Apart from this I really like it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 12, 2007 9:06 AM

• Thanks. FireFox has some trouble to release memories, and we have tried very hard to avoid it, but maybe some specific case we haven't handle well.

I think it doesn't happen every time? If it's very reproducible, can you please let us know how to reproduce it?

At the mean time, we will try to debug to find out.

By Blogger Chris, At September 12, 2007 9:26 AM

• J'AIME BEAUCOUP VOS PHOTOS MAIS JE N'AI POINT D'ARGENT ?

By Blogger LA CONNAISSANCE CULTURELLE, At September 12, 2007 3:28 PM

• Hi, LA CONNAISSANCE CULTURELLE, according to online French to English translator, you are saying:
    I LIKE MUCH YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS BUT I AI NOT Of MONEY?

It's totally OK if you can not pay us, it's not required at all. But you can support us by clicking on the ads. :)

By Blogger Chris, At September 12, 2007 4:55 PM

• Fox Saver seemed to be working good, but a couple of times it seems to hang up on just one picture, and can't move it off to anything else. The other night it seemed to work OK, but the hang up seems to be a problem.

By Blogger Arizona Ron, At September 15, 2007 11:18 AM

• Hi, Ron, thanks for reporting this problem. It's kind of hard to debug. Hopefully the next release may resolve this problem.

By Blogger Chris, At September 15, 2007 11:49 AM

• Hi,
    I just installed FS 2.2.2 on FF 2.0.0.7 (Windows XP) and ran into two issues. One is that it doesn't start automatically, even if I set it to "1 minute" and wait several minutes. The other is that even when it's maximized and the full-screen option is turned on, it does not run full screen.

I'm excited to use it, and to build an RSS feed for the pictures of Kyoto that I take. Thanks for building it!

By Anonymous Jeffrey Friedl, At September 19, 2007 1:40 AM

• Hmmm, I have to recant that last comment (please just delete it and this one), because it all seems to be working properly. I don't know what's different now, but it was likely some kind of user error.

Thanks!

By Anonymous Jeffrey Friedl, At September 19, 2007 3:49 AM

• Hi, Jeffery, glad it is working for you. FoxSaver could not really detect all users' mouse and keyboard activity. So it has to be more prudent on when and how to start.

If there are several FireFox windows, FoxSaver will not go to fullscreen.

If the FireFox is minimized, it will not start.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

By Blogger Chris, At September 19, 2007 7:17 AM

• It's a great idea, but I would prefer not to use it, it just popped up when I updated firefox- how do i turn it off? I keep on clicking to disable it and I keep getting pictures of kittens and oceans on my screen!

By Blogger Isabel, At September 19, 2007 2:03 PM

• Hi, Isabel, you can turn it off by just clicking on the FoxSaver status bar icon.

To uninstall it, just go to
    Tools->Add-Ons->FoxSaver->Uninstall

By Blogger Chris, At September 19, 2007 2:08 PM

• Loved it until you added the unremovable scrolling watermark button. If that's supposed to be akin to the 'boss is coming' button on sports sites, an option to not see it would have been nice, especially since it overlays and interferes with the text and clickable links that I actually chose to surf. Ugh!

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 1, 2007 11:53 AM

• Hi, Anonymous on Oct 1st 11:53 AM,

I am not totally sure what is the "unremovable scrolling watermark button".

If you are talking about the "FoxSaver Play" button, yeah, you are right, we should have an option to disable it. Please just wait for several days.

By Blogger Chris, At October 1, 2007 1:41 PM

• From user Figaro:

Lovely screen saver (ver.2.2.3.2)!

But whenever I print, "Play by FoxSaver" logo is printed on top of the pages I want. Any workaround?

Kaz

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 7, 2007 7:51 PM

• Hi, Kaz,

You can use FoxSaver option to enable/disable FoxSaver logo.

Let me know if it works or not.

By Blogger Chris, At October 7, 2007 7:52 PM

• Hi, again, great add-in for my firefox..
    How can I add photos to your database, I make a lot of photos that might be nice in foxsaver. I uploaded some of them to Facebook but now I still can't add them to Foxsaver. Please take a look of these quick uploads in my Nature category :

Thanx
    Bram.

By Blogger Bramvo.net, At October 10, 2007 1:19 PM

• Hi, Bram,

Fantastic photos!

Facebook seems limits the picture size though. If you post a large picture online, you can right click the picture, (may need to wait some seconds) find the option "Recommend it to FoxSaver".

By Blogger Chris, At October 10, 2007 3:28 PM

• Hi!
    You have done great work at FoxSaver.
    my two suggestions are :

1) I don't know why my tool bar buttons switch to small when ever I start FoxSaver , so I have every time to re set them.
    2)When Full screen the message "right click to exit..." appears always on top as soon I move the mouse and hides the pictures.

Keep going...

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 11, 2007 11:35 PM

• Hi, I remember the "small icon" problem is due to some other plugin problem, the one which is using the small icon. But it's not using javascript so we could not find out what it is doing.

We need to find a better way to prompt the "right click", to ensure it can fade out after several minutes.

Thanks for the good suggestion!

By Blogger Chris, At October 12, 2007 2:42 AM

• Got it Chris, thnx, submitted 2 of em..

Bramvo.net

By Blogger Bramvo.net, At October 15, 2007 3:04 AM

• Nice and clean stuff, very good work.
    I really like it. Keep on guys!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 23, 2007 7:27 AM

• Really nice plugin and great pics...
    a hint... when you combine FoxSaver with "Reload ever..." plugin applied to some tab, FoxSaver don't activate.
    There is something that can be done to solve this ?

congratulations...

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 23, 2007 9:27 AM

• I really liked this plug in but after recent updates of firefox causes this plug to hang regularly with the not foo inserted at the top of screen before the picture.

By Blogger Robert, At December 1, 2007 10:27 AM

• Robert, thanks for your favor of FoxSaver. FireFox 2.0.0.10 has a serious bug of the API that FoxSaver uses. And FireFox team is very helpful and has released 2.0.0.11 within 4 days.

Please update the FireFox by going to "Help"->"Check for updates..."

By Blogger Chris, At December 1, 2007 11:13 AM

• i realy love foxsaver iys the best ,but onceyou get the coment and the vote thats it ,it wasnt like that in the begining ,i got a few wonderful pictures but now ,no more . i wonder why and if you go to the recomended web site its the same ,hard to get a picture or you get it and next morning you want to look at your pictures and there not there ,gone erazed ,all they wanted was the comment.please foxsaver try to let us have your pictures not those phony sites.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 5, 2008 5:09 PM

• thanks anonymous. We have some copyright issues. Although now we only list thumbnails, still some photographers is asking $600~$800 for each picture, if not deleted at once.

Well, all we do is to create a RSS list of pictures.

Maybe share some ideas? I am thinking to allow users upload their own pictures directly.

Let me know what you think.

By Blogger Chris, At April 5, 2008 6:35 PM

• It sounds like a cool program. It's a shame I can't get it to work. I can't get anything except the endless circle of dots.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 27, 2008 7:57 PM

• hi, Anonymous, if not working, please let us know the FireFox version, OS, and maybe other plugins that may cause conflicts. Thanks!

By Blogger Chris, At May 28, 2008 8:10 AM

• Feeling very silly! I can't figure out how to upload a photo for approval. If it's in 'My Documents' how do I do it? Help!

By Blogger jonjo, At February 26, 2009 5:26 AM

• jonjo, you need to upload pictures to some other picture hosting site, like flickr, then right click on the picture to recommend it to foxsaver.

FoxSaver is not trying to host the pictures, but more like a picture recommendation site.

By Blogger Chris, At February 26, 2009 10:32 AM