Monday, November 19, 2007

New FoxSaver website

Quite some users don't have facebook account to login. So We spent some time to create the user system, and don't rely on Facebook any more.

We are fixing some problems with sending emails. If you have any problems, just shout here.

• Again nice job Chris on this software. When do you plan to add the option to turn off the slideshow when it detect a mouse mouvement (screensaver behavior)?

I have successfully created my own RSS stream to get images from my local server.

Thanks

Claude

By Blogger C-F, At November 21, 2007 4:38 PM

• We will release one with the option next Sunday. The feature is ready, just need to do the UI part. Be patient. :)

By Blogger Chris, At November 21, 2007 7:32 PM

• Man you are fast!
    Would it be possible to turn the cache to ON/OFF?

By Blogger C-F, At November 21, 2007 7:39 PM

• Turning off caching is possible, but I don't see a point not to cache. Actually we previously did not have caching, and seeing repeated image requests, which is not so good.

By Blogger Chris, At November 21, 2007 10:24 PM

• Awesome Chris! I've not had a lot of time for online things recently but everytime I do, I take time out for some FoxSaver because viewing the images is so relaxing. Good for the psych! All the new changes you have made just make a wonderful thing better!

By Blogger Semavi Lady, At November 26, 2007 11:08 PM

• When the foxsaver add-on is enabled, I notice that pages can 'scroll' a but firther than what they would otherwise, then 'return' back to normal the next instant (1).

The 'logo' at the statusbar is top-aligned instead of center-aligned (2).

Foxsaver also causes some 'frames', 'panels' (what you call them') to 'jitter', (I believe it it the same problem as the first).

In the case of the 'del.icio.us Bookmarks' extension, at the del.icio.us sidebar, the bottom frame will jitter; if a favorite is highlighted, the focus will revert to the highlighted favorite of the user scrolls it out of sight.

Please look into the matter.

By Blogger Johannes, At December 9, 2007 7:25 AM

• How do I enlarge to full screen?
    Very nice Photography

By Blogger mo-granny, At December 10, 2007 4:30 AM

• Johannes, your No.2 issue, the statusbar icon is changed to middle alignment in the release 2.2.5.1. Thanks! We will look into the no.1 issue.

mo-granny, to get to fullscreen, first maximize the firefox, and close other firefox instance, then start FoxSaver.

By Blogger Chris, At December 10, 2007 8:08 AM

• Very nice work on Foxsaver, highly impressed with both the quality and the frequency of updates.

If you're still accepting suggestions, here's a few...
    * Have option to not have foxsaver close when you start working around again (I like having the picture tab sometimes ^^ )

* Be able to have actual webpages go by in the list (letting you pop up a page that has your favorite daily webcomic on it, your; email, etc.)

* I like the idea of being able to use foxsaver as the system screensaver too, but that will probably take a bit of work, eh?

By Anonymous Lil Joshu, At December 11, 2007 2:33 PM

• Hi, Lil Joshu, Thanks for your compliments! Very encouraging to us!

1) The foxsaver consumes some CPU resources, which may not be ideal.

2) In "Options"->"choose photos"->"Web Page URL" section, you can fill in a URL that you like to show up.

3) FoxSaver as system screen saver may take some effort indeed. I think you can use Google's screensaver, which can take RSS feeds now. You just need to use our feeds. I personally found it pretty nice, except the pictures are not updated as often as the RSS. Did anyone have such problem or it's just me?

By Blogger Chris, At December 11, 2007 3:49 PM

• Lil Joshu,

If you need a picture tab, you can really have a picture window instead. Just have a firefox window running foxsaver and alt-tab to switch to it whenever you want. I sometimes do that.

By Anonymous blaze, At December 12, 2007 10:54 AM

• mo-granny,

To switch between full screen/normal window when foxsaver is playing, simply press F11 on your keyboard. Well...that doesn't do all the work since the tabs are still visible in full screen mode. However, if you happen to have the fuller screen extension as follows:

You will probably get exactly what you need.

By Anonymous blaze, At December 12, 2007 10:58 AM

• I am posting this to notify FoxSaver.com of illegal copyright infringement. My photograph 'Crater Lake, Dawn' has been illegally downloaded and copied to your site by user MaryP26 and may be seen here: http://www.foxsaver.com/public/picture/1925425652

Remove this photograph from your website immediately and notify the user of this copyright violation or additional action will be taken.

Marc Adamus

By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 19, 2007 11:39 AM

• Hi, Marc, the picture is taken out from the list of "latest" pictures. It's kind of "soft-delete". Nobody can see this link any more unless you give the link to others.

I suppose our site is more like digg, or stumbleupon, where users can pick what they like. And if other users like what's picked, they will go to your site to find out more. And you will benefit from more eye balls.

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At December 19, 2007 1:22 PM

• oh. Marc, the picture is already published, so many users have already downloaded the picture from your original URL.

I think the problem is that the first-time user is not putting your name as author there, although she put your original website there.

I have added your name as the author. The original website works good as before.

By Blogger Chris, At December 19, 2007 1:33 PM

• Hi,
    very nice extension, especially for kiosk mode. However, could be possible to turn off cursor during session?

Thanks
    Martin

By Anonymous Martin, At December 31, 2007 6:58 AM

• Hey Chris,
    Just wanted to say what a wonderful piece of software FoxSaver is and thank you for your hard work. A couple of queries/suggestions:
    1) I was wondering of having an area on the profile page of pictures "voted up" by other FoxSaver users to compliment the "Comments" section.
    2) On the "Overview" page, is there a possibility of having a list of other profiles so we can browse their pictures.
    Thanks and all the best to you.

By Anonymous zeus2332, At January 20, 2008 12:42 AM

• Hi, zeus2332,

Thanks for your encouragement. And we really want to help users like you to submit pictures and share pictures, while maintaining the quality of the pictures.

Your #1 and #2 will be worked on. May take some time to organize the data in order not to slowdown the pages.

Thanks for your suggestion. And please just shout if you need anything!

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At January 20, 2008 2:22 PM

• Hey Chris,
    I really like the new features you've added to FoxSaver...You are doing a wonderful job, keep it up.

By Anonymous zeus2332, At February 12, 2008 8:58 AM

• Hello Chris,

I found a picture of mine on your website. I also sit it on the front page, in the header.
    I know you did it without malevolence, as you didn't forgot to mention my name.
    But you did not asked me to use it. Please, could you remove it as soon as possible ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Aline Nedelec (Photographer of 'Stairs')

By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 13, 2008 10:51 PM

• Hi, Aline Nedelec,

I can take it down although I do like your nice and creative picture. It has some technical difficulty because all web pages are cached and not easily to remove all of them.

And actually one question here for you, and maybe other photographers.

One of our policy is to encourage users to recommend pictures with the original author's name and the original web page. Your picture is properly creditted, with your original photo.net webpage link. Isn't it going to benefit you so more users know your pictures, and will go to our original webpage to check out other pictures?

Well, it's fine that some photographers simply doesn't like foxsaver and insist on we take down the picture from foxsaver while still have their pictures publicly accessible on other websites. But isn't that strange?

Chris Lu

By Blogger Chris, At February 13, 2008 11:33 PM

• Hi Chris,

FoxSaver is really cool, but there are times when I need to disable it. It will pop up from time to time when I am in the middle of something. Is there a way to either stop it for a while of minimize it so that I can continue working?

Larry bubbathearkie2007@gmail.com

By Blogger Thegood, At February 26, 2008 10:36 AM

• Larry, you just need to click the FoxSaver icon on the bottom right status bar. It will turn gray and italic. That means FoxSaver is disabled now.

By Blogger Chris, At February 26, 2008 10:48 AM

• Hi Chris,
    I recently had to reinstall Firefox. After installing the FoxSaver add-on and signed into my profile page, I began to submit pictures from public domain sites. But every time I clicked on the "Recommend" button, I am redirected to the sign in page and end up losing the picture I tried to submit. If you can help me identify what the cause of this issue is I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 29, 2008 2:11 PM

• hi, anonymous, the login stopped working because of a server restart yesterday in our data center, and one of the programs needed was not started. And thanks a loooooot for reminding us!

Chris

By Blogger Chris, At February 29, 2008 3:27 PM

• Chris,
    This is the second time I ask you to remove a picture of mines you download without my permission on your site.
    I post my pictures only on sites where I sign for an agreement, specially in term of respect of copyright and use.
    It is absolutely not the case for this site.
    And even more serious is your reaction after my first request of remove. It is absolutely not professional.
    I hope you will act soon.
    Aline

By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 2, 2008 10:54 AM

• hmm, Angry Aline, and scary words.

I have removed the picture from the listing(not that easy to get everything out of cached stuff though), and changed from the original size to the thumbnail size, so that users can go to your site if they want to see the original.

And sorry for "not being professional". I am not professional on the foxsaver site. Just a hobby trying to let more people enjoy pictures and promote artists' work. More like digg or del.icio.us. If your work simply doesn't want to be promoted, that should be fine.

Chris